Dec 23, 2009

Album Review: Alicia Keys - The Element of Freedom!

So like many of you, I recently went out and purchased Alicia Keys's new album, "The Element of Freedom". After listening to it quite extensively, I thought I'd do a quick review on it.

1. Element of Freedom (Intro)

2. Love Is Blind
This is definitely something a bit different for Keys and probably results from her collaboration with Jeff Bhasker. While I wasn't initially a fan of the song, it has grown on me.
3/5

3. Doesn't Mean Anything
This was first single off the album, while it didn't perform on the charts it's certainly not a bad song. I like to think of it as "No One (Part 2)" because of the similarities in the beat, but the lyrics are a great listen too.
3.5/5

4. Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart
Another interesting collab with Bhasker. This has definitely grown on me and I was hoping to see it shoot up the charts as the second single but it looks as if it has suffered the same fate as "Doesn't Mean Anything".
4/5

5. Wait Til You See My Smile
This is one of my favourites off the album. The lyrics are outstanding and the vocal arrangements are tops. I really like the drum arrangements and I was surprised to see Swizz Beats in the credits, props to him!
4.5/5

6. That's How Strong My Love Is
This is another one of my favourites. The piano driven track is simple yet effective and the strings add great emotion.
4.5/5

7. Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)
I didn't really get into this track. The beat does nothing for me and it's a bit too 'dreamy' for me.
2.5/5

8. Love Is My Disease
This is a bit of a shift from Alicia's usual style, but I like it. There's a great guitar riff which adds a bit of an island vibe to the track. Again, another solid vocal performance.
3.5/5

9. Like The Sea
I'm on the fence about this one, I originally liked it now I'm not too sure how I feel. It's definitely something different but it gets a bit repetitive.
3/5

10. Put It In A Love Song - feat. Beyonce
On paper this is probably one of the most exciting collaborations to ever take place. Some have described the track as "Get Me Bodied (Part 2)" which comes from Swizz Beats's involvement. While I like the collaboration it's not the 'FIRE' I was expecting from two of the biggest female artists in the game. I do however think the "...Work it out, gotta work it out..." breakdowns are incredibly infectious and dance provoking!
3.5/5

11. This Bed
This is a great track. It's simple and catchy with clever lyrics and another great vocal.
4/5

12. Distance and Time
This one also cracked my 'favourites' list. The track features incredible lyrics which are so relevant and meaningful. It's a great piano driven track with a soft drum influence.
4.5/5

13. How It Feels To Fly
For me, this is the best track on the album. I love the metronome and the piano loop. The vocal is outstanding and again the lyrics are tops. The addition of the choir near the end is also great and really brings further meaning to the track. Incredible!
5/5

14. Empire State of Mind (Part 2)
It's great to hear a different version of this track. I'm not overly fond of it and I do prefer the original, but props for trying.
3.5/5

My favourites:
Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart
Wait Til You See My Smile
That's How Strong My Love Is
Put It In A Love Song
This Bed
*Distance and Time*
*How It Feels To Fly*

No comments:

Post a Comment