Jul 4, 2010

Review: Christina's "Bionic"!



After giving Christina Aguilera's new album, "Bionic" a listen I thought I'd give my view on the album. Initially there was a lot of bad press surrounding the album, mainly because of the comparisons between Aguilera and Lady Gaga and because of recently publicized articles claiming Christina has a very unprofessional work ethic.

Anyway, I decided to look past the bad publicity and listen to the music. The album starts off rather well and as promised goes straight into the electro-pop title track, 'Bionic'. Christina had been talking about incorporating elements of electronica and expressed her interests in making 'futuristic' type sounds. I think overall she achieved that quite well. The electro-pop vibe continues on the tracks "Elastic Love", "Desnudate", "My Girls" "Monday Morning" and "Birds of Prey" which take a while to get used to but certainly show some diversification.

I think the album's strongpoint are the ballads. Although generic, "Lift Me Up" and "You Lost Me" are great listens and could have some commercial success. I also really enjoyed, "All I Need", especially with the intro and "I Am" which is stripped down and somewhat reminiscent of "Save Me From Myself" from 2006's "Back To Basics".

My favourites:
Bionic
Desnudate
Prima Donna
Lift Me Up
All I Need (with the intro 'My Heart)
I Am
You Lost Me
Birds of Prey
Stronger Than Ever

Overall, I really don't think this album deserves the bad rap its been getting. I've actually enjoyed the album and its different direction, sometimes the best music is not commercially successful. Take a listen to the album if you get a chance and let me know what you think!

In related news, "You Lost Me" will serve as the official second single from the album with an Anthony Mandler directed video to premiere soon.

1 comment: